How to Choose the Right Bedroom Dresser
Dressers are functional furniture pieces that are typically used to store clothes and other personal items in the bedroom, making them one of bedroom furniture must-haves you should consider for your home. They differ from chest drawers since they are wide and short. The top of the dresser supplies a space where you can put clothes and a mirror where you can get dressed. There is a plethora of dresser designs and styles available in the market today that will seamlessly complement your desired theme and other furniture items in the bedroom. With each one of these dressers vying for your attention, it can be tough to spot the best one for you right away.
Planning on shopping for a dresser? We’ve got you covered — because, in this article, we’ll be equipping you with tips on how to choose the right bedroom dresser. Let’s get started!
1. Think About Your Bedroom Space
When you’re choosing a bedroom dresser, it’s very important to take into account the space you have. If you neglect this part, you may end up buying the wrong furniture size — and they’ll either be too big or too small to fit your room. See to it that you measure the space allotted for the dresser as well as the dresser itself before you proceed to buy it. Since there are different types of dressers, their standard dimensions vary depending on their functions, with some having more drawers than others. You should also be aware that the standard dresser has 6 or more drawers. Its height usually ranges from 26 to 44 inches, its width spans from 36 to 60 inches, and its depth is 16 to 20 inches.
2. Know the Type of Dresser You Prefer
In choosing any furniture piece, you always have to consider what you’ll be using it for, how much available space you have, and its design to know what specific features you’ll be looking for. This is mostly handy when the furniture item has variations such as a dresser. The good thing about having different types of dressers to choose from is you are not stuck with just one style and feature — you have a few more options that can fit your needs and preferences.
Here are some of the different types of bedroom dressers for you:
- Horizontal Dresser – Considered one of the most common types of bedroom furniture, the horizontal dresser has a single column of wide drawers. Its top row consists of smaller drawers which are ideal for storing small personal items, while the rows below have wide drawers where you can store larger items.
- Double Dresser – Double dressers are more spacious compared to horizontal and standard dressers since it has two columns of wide drawers, which makes it perfect for people who are looking to store more items. It also offers a spacious tabletop where you can place makeup and skincare products. This type of dresser is usually coupled with a vanity mirror, so you can use it not only for storage but also for dressing yourself up.
- Combination Dresser – A combination dresser looks almost similar to a horizontal dresser, however, it is accompanied by cabinets on either the side or middle part. It has one or two drawers that are paired with cabinets that have multiple shelves. You can store small items in the top drawers and folded clothes in the lower rows. You can also hang clothes in the cabinet portion of this dresser.
3. Check the Material
The material makes a huge impact in choosing a dresser for your bedroom because it says a lot about how it will jive with other furniture pieces, and of course, how long it will last. See to it that the material of your choice will match your preferences in terms of:
- Affordability (Does it fit the budget?)
When it comes to the materials used to make a dresser, you have some good options:
- Hardwood – If you want a durable material for your dresser, then hardwood is a fine choice. They are easy to maintain, heavy, and well-built. On top of that, they have a classic and attractive appearance, which makes them suitable for many themes. This also means that hardwood dressers can last for many years, especially when you take good care of them.
Some of the hardwood dresser materials that you can choose from are:
- Softwood – If you prefer a dresser material that’s subtle-looking, go for softwood. This type of material is insect-resistant, lightweight, and you can easily paint it with a new color or finish. It’s also more budget-friendly than most hardwood, so you don’t have to break the bank for it.
Some of the softwood dresser materials that you can choose from are:
Aside from hardwood and softwood, there are other dresser materials that can be viable options — and these are:
- Wood Veneer
- Wicker (rattan, bamboo, willow, reed)
4. Consider How Much Storage Space You Need
Dresser measurements vary, so it’s up to you to determine how much storage space you will be needing. What will you be storing? Are they big or small items? Since dressers typically have 6 or more drawers, you can properly section your items in each drawer. For example, small pieces of clothing such as ties, undergarments, socks, etc. can be stored inside smaller drawers. This goes the same with light clothing such as shirts and shorts.
In the event that you are looking for a more spacious dresser to house your personal items, you can opt for a double dresser or combination dresser. As you look for a dresser with the right storage space, don’t forget to measure your space accordingly — most particularly if you are going for a dresser with cabinets.
If you are looking for bedroom furniture in Metro Manila for your home, visit our page. We have a variety of furniture items for you!
Like our Facebook page and follow us on our Instagram to keep in touch with us regularly.